Pages

11.09.2010

Isaac T.-R.: At the STEM Program, USNA

The opportunity to go to the US Naval Academy was an enlightening experience.  I learned that I was interested in Biometrics.  Biometrics is the use of body parts or behavior to identify a person.  I found it astounding that machines could use living components of a person and turn the information into useful tools in security and for police work.  I didn’t know that this type of engineering was applied in everyday life.

The experience on the YP boat was thrilling.  It showed me how the life of a midshipman was like, and also gave me some insight into whether I would like to do it myself.  I saw their sleeping, cooking, and steering areas, which were very clean.  I also got to drive the boat.  That was fun.  I didn’t know that you could drive a boat without looking up.

The time I spent with my midshipman was well spent.  I met a lot of people in that company and I saw how they had become a family or unit for each other.  It reminds me of St. Benedict’s Prep in a way.  Intelligence, talent, and religion everywhere you look!  It was a trip that I will remember for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment