Pages

11.09.2010

Paul C. - My Naval Academy Experience

My experience at the STEM program at the US Naval Academy is one to remember and always treasure.  The morning of the trip, I was very excited to see what the STEM program had to offer.  I woke up at 5 am, which on a regular day would be an impossible task.  Although I knew I would be stuck on a bus for four hours, I was still looking forward to seeing how the Naval Academy would differ from my assumptions about the place.  My expectations were high and I doubted I would be disappointed.

I arrived at the Academy by noon and immediately felt welcome by the gifts I received.  My group headed to lunch, and then we were off to class.  I was ready to see what the Naval Academy could teach me on the short visit.  I was introduced to biometrics, which to my surprise included fingerprinting, eye scanners and voice detection.  These devices were things I would never have expected to see, other than in movies.  They explained to us how it was used in the real world compared to what was portrayed in Hollywood.  Another great class was the 3-D object programming.  In this class, I learned how to make fictional characters on the computer and make them active; I was pleased and I felt like a game designer.  These were only two of the great experiences I had at the Naval Academy.  The Naval Academy started to seem like home.

The next thing to do was go on the Navy YP boat, which was in my opinion the most unforgettable experience.  I learned what the YP boat was and even how to maneuver the ship.  I took countless pictures which I got to show my family and friends when I got home.  I felt I was actually part of the Navy for a while.  After the boat ride, we were assigned a midshipman to take us around and give us a tour of the campus.  I enjoyed the history I was being taught by the midshipman.  Later that night, I had the privilege to go to the football game between Navy and Army.  Unfortunately, Navy lost but it was still and intense game where the whole school seemed to be moved by the very last play.

I can honestly say that my stay at the Naval Academy did not just reach my expectation but went beyond what I could ever have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment